CANCELED: ASU Book Group: ‘The Weight of Light’ edited by Joey Eschrich and Clark A. Miller
This event last occurred March 25, 2020
A message from the Department of English:
In consideration of our guests and community and the concern around gatherings, we are postponing the March 25 meeting of the ASU Book Group. We will be in touch soon to share information about a new date for this event.
The ASU Book Group's March 2020 reading selection is "The Weight of Light: A Collection of Solar Futures" edited by Joey Eschrich and Clark A. Miller. The book group is open to all in the ASU community and meets monthly from noon to 1 p.m. in the Piper Writers House on ASU's Tempe campus. Haven't read the book? Come anyway! Authors are always present. A no-host luncheon follows at the University Club.
This collection of science fiction stories, art and essays explores human futures powered by solar energy, with an upbeat, solarpunk twist. What will it be like to live in the photon societies of tomorrow? How will a transition to clean, plentiful energy transform our values, markets and politics? "The Weight of Light" emphasizes that the design of solar energy matters just as much as the shift away from fossil fuels.
The book is available for free download at the Center for Science and the Imagination website.
Joey Eschrich is editor and program manager for the Center for Science and the Imagination at ASU, where he also earned his BA in film and media studies (2008) and MA in women and gender studies (2011). Clark A. Miller is professor and associate director for faculty at the School for the Future of Innovation in Society at ASU.
The ASU Book Group meetings and selections for 2019–2020 are:
- Sep. 18 – Rebecca Fish Ewan, “By the Forces of Gravity”
- Oct. 23 – Keith Miller and Renee Billups Baker, “My Life with Charles Billups and Martin Luther King”
- Nov. 20 – Eduardo Obregón Pagán, “Valley of the Guns”
- Dec. 11 – Shahla Talebi, “Ghosts of Revolution” (new date)
- Jan. 29 – Gary L. Stuart, “Call Him Mac” (new date)
- Feb. 26 – Adrienne Celt, “Invitation to a Bonfire”
- Mar. 25 – Joey Eschrich and Clark A. Miller, “The Weight of Light”
- Apr. 29 – Kelly deVos, “Fat Girl on a Plane”
The ASU Book Group is sponsored as a community outreach initiative by the Department of English and organized in partnership with the Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing.
Piper Writers House
For more information contact: