CANCELED: ASU Book Group: ‘Fat Girl on a Plane’ by Kelly deVos
This event last occurred April 29, 2020
→Update: This event has been canceled.
The ASU Book Group's April 2020 reading selection is "Fat Girl on a Plane" by Kelly deVos. The book group is open to all in the ASU community and meets monthly from noon to 1 p.m. in the Piper Writers House on ASU's Tempe campus. Haven't read the book? Come anyway! Authors are always present. A no-host luncheon follows at the University Club.
A teen novel. The story is, told from fat and skinny perspectives is about smart fashion, pursuing your dreams, and loving yourself.
High school senior Cookie Vonn's post-graduation dreams include getting out of Phoenix, attending Parsons and becoming the next great fashion designer. But in the world of fashion, being fat is a cardinal sin. It doesn't help that she's constantly compared to her supermodel mother — and named after a dessert.
The book is available at amazon.com.
Kelly deVos holds a Bachelor of Arts in English (creative writing) from ASU, which she earned in 2016.
The ASU Book Group meetings and selections for 2019–2020 are:
- Sep. 18 – Rebecca Fish Ewan, “By the Forces of Gravity”
- Oct. 23 – Keith Miller and Renee Billups Baker, “My Life with Charles Billups and Martin Luther King”
- Nov. 20 – Eduardo Obregón Pagán, “Valley of the Guns”
- Dec. 11 – Shahla Talebi, “Ghosts of Revolution” (new date)
- Jan. 29 – Gary L. Stuart, “Call Him Mac” (new date)
- Feb. 26 – Adrienne Celt, “Invitation to a Bonfire”
- Mar. 25 – Joey Eschrich and Clark A. Miller, “The Weight of Light”
- Apr. 29 – Kelly deVos, “Fat Girl on a Plane”
The ASU Book Group is sponsored as a community outreach initiative by the Department of English and organized in partnership with the Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing.
Piper Writers House
For more information contact: